Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Jersey City Museum (1901-2011): Former Jersey City Museum

Former Jersey City Museum - Images

Jersey City Museum

Jersey City Museum
Northeast corner of Monmouth and Montgomery Streets.
Photo: C. Karnoutsos, 2001

Jersey City Museum

Jersey City Museum Gallery
Permanent installation.
Courtesy of the Jersey City Museum

August Will Painting

August Will (1834-1910)
View from corner of Clifton Place and Hudson (now Fairmount) Avenue. 1899.
Watercolor. Purchase, 1923.

Courtesy of the Jersey City Museum

Canova Plate

Daniel Greatbach
"Canova" Plate c. 1839
Transfer-printed white ware
American Pottery Manufacturing Company
D. 9 in. (22.9 c,)
Jersey City Museum
Friends Purchase, 1985

Photo: KONY

Toby Jug

Moorish Arches Pitcher

Pressed Glass Salt

Pressed Glass Salt

Location: Former Jersey City Museum

Former Jersey City Museum (1901-2011)

Former Jersey City Museum (1901-2011)
at 350 Montgomery Street at Monmouth Street

The founding of the Jersey City Museum dates back to 1901 when the collection was located on the fourth floor of the Jersey City Free Public Library on Jersey Avenue. It remained under the aegis of the library until 1987 when the Museum Association initiated the founding of a separate institution.

In 1993, the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency donated the building at 350 Montgomery Street for the local museum as a private non-profit corporation. Its mission was to serve the community by "maintaining, preserving, and interpreting the region's cultural heritage."

The cream-colored brick building on Montgomery Street, a former post office warehouse (circa 1929) was renovated for $6.5 million. The architect Charles Gifford of Meyer & Gifford of New York designed the interior as a modern space enhanced by a skylight lobby, galleries, 152-seat theater, gift shop, and workshop for the 10,000 piece collection. 

The new museum opened on September 19, 2001. It featured two exhibits, "Ben Shahn and the Passion of Sacco and Vanzetti" and "Catalina Parra: It's Indisputable," as well as "Highlights from the Permanent Collection." The Shahn exhibit included sixteen of his original works displayed in 1932 at the Downtown Art Gallery in New York City. A Lithuanian immigrant, Shahn (1898-1969) lived for a time in New Jersey. Catalina Parra's exhibit offered fifty collages in five series by the Chilean-born artist. The paintings of local artist August Will (1834-1916), from the permanent collection, were displayed. They depict views of Jersey City at the turn of the twentieth century

Funding for the museum declined during the post-9/11 decade. In December 2011, under threat of foreclosure, the museum board sold the building to Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas Health for office space on the upper floors. The museum leased the first floor for exhibits. The arrangement did not prove satisfactory and the museum closed. In 2018, the Jersey City museum collection went to the Zimmerli Art Museum/Rutgers University in New Brunswick.

Former Jersey City Museum - References

Kocut, Marion, ed. First Look: The Essential Guide to Jersey City Museum. Jersey City, NJ: Jersey City Museum, 2006.

Wright, E. Assata, "JC Museum Plans 'Quiet' Reopening But Questions Still Linger Regarding Art Collection Inventory." Jersey City Reporter, June 3, 2012.