North Baptist Church was founded in 1865, resulting from efforts to establish an additional Sunday school for the Union Baptist Church. The members of the Union Baptist Church were meeting in a hall at the corner of Fourth and Grove Streets. As the congregation grew, it purchased four lots on the corner of Fourth Street and Jersey Avenue in 1867 and built a wooden church. When the congregation outgrew this building, it raised funds for the North Baptist Church on Fourth Street, which was dedicated on November 14, 1886.
Major Z.K. Pangborn, a founder of the Jersey Journal and a charter member of the church, was the president of the church's board of trustees. He donated money for the Pangborn Chapel, which now adjoins the church sanctuary and is now used as a community center.
After 113 years of continuous service to the community, the North Baptist Church had a fire in 1978. It was renovated, with some funding from the American Baptist Convention in New Jersey. In 1985, the church reopened as the North Baptist Spanish Church. It has a bilingual ministry serving Puerto Rican, Cuban, and Columbian families and its English-speaking members.