In March 2015, the former Greenville Hospital re-opened as the Jersey City Medical Center at Greenville. With over one-hundred years of serving the Greenville community dating back to 1898, the acute care hospital had closed on April 23, 2008. The facility, purchased by the Community Healthcare System, has been renovated and is leased by Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas Health as an outpatient medical center.
Greenville Hospital first opened as the "German Hospital and Dispensary of Hudson County, New Jersey" in a house located on Danforth Avenue by the Schwabischer Kranken Unterstitszungs Verein of Hudson County. Serving as an outpatient dispensary, it was operated by the Suabian Sick Benefit and Folks Festival Society, a German civic organization. They purchased the property and incorporated the hospital "to care for, nurture the sick, injured or those afflicted by disease, or victims of accidents or casualty, and the training, education and instruction or preparation of persons, male or female, to act as nurses."
At the time of the founding of the hospital, a new wave of German immigrants were arriving in Greenville, a section of Jersey City where earlier generations of Germans had already settled. The newcomers were most likely fleeing their homeland in anticipation of growing militarism in Europe and future war. They founded two German Lutheran congregations: the Greenville Gothic-style church Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (now Muungano Seventh-Day Adventist Church) erected in 1877 on Kennedy Boulevard and McAdoo Avenue; and the English Lutheran Church of the Redeemer (now the Redeemer Lutheran Church) on Warner Avenue constructed in 1898.
The hospital building on Kennedy Boulevard was designed by local architect Robert C. Dixon. New Jersey Governor Woodrow Wilson joined Jersey City's Mayor H. Otto Wittpenn for the laying of the cornerstone on May 30, 1912. Also participating at the ceremony was the Rev. John E. Heindel of the Church of the Redeemer. The hospital opened to the community on June 1, 1914, with 32 beds. It thereby became the third hospital in Jersey City, along with the Jersey City Hospital on Baldwin Avenue (later Jersey City Medical Center) and the Christ Hospital on Palisade Avenue.
Due to the pressures of anti-German hostilities during World War I, the directors of the German Hospital renamed it the Greenville Hospital in 1918. They were determined not to allow the name to stand in the way of assisting those in need, especially with the increasing demands on local hospitals due to the war. The constant motto of the small neighborhood hospital was "Partners in care--sharing time and resources."
Over the years, the contemporary twentieth-century style building was renovated with extensions to the structure and changes to the entrance. The west wing to the hospital was added in 1971. In 1989, the Greenville Hospital joined with the Jersey City Medical Center; two years later they both joined the LibertyHealth Systems, a consortium of health care services in Hudson County and former parent organization of the Jersey City Medical Center).
Another renovation of Greenville Hospital took place in the late 1990s coinciding with its centennial anniversary. From May 2004 to 2008, it operated as an acute care facility. The completion of the new Jersey City Medical Center, less than three miles away at 355 Grand Street, and financial losses brought about a decision to close the community hospital. For two years (2009-2011), it became the Jersey City Medical Center's Emergency Medical Service. Subsequently the LibertyHealth Systems recognized that the city's growing population requires an urgent care center that could occupy the Kennedy Boulevard facility. It sold the hospital to Community Healthcare Associates in 2012 to repurpose the facility that is now leased to the Jersey City Medical Center.
Fink, Jason. "Pulling Plug on Greenville Hosp [sic]," Jersey Journal 28 April 2008.
Gomez, John. "'Dream of Years' Come True," Jersey Journal 15 March 2006.
Hack, Charles. "Plan New Use for Greenville Hosp [sic]," Jersey Journal 1 August 2012.
Harwood, Brett. "Making More Efficient Use of Hospital Resources," Jersey Journal 28 April 2007.
Jersey City Medical Center at Greenville. http://www.barnabashealth.org/Jersey-City-Medical-Center-at-Greenville.aspx
Panico, Rebecca. "New Life Breathed into ex-Greenville Hospital." Jersey Journal 16 June 2015.
Thorbourne, Ken. "Greenville Hosp [sic] Shuts April 23," Jersey Journal 25 March 2008.